News & Views » Cover Story

Where'd they go?

Here's what became of a few of Atlanta's celebrated residential hotels and notorious dives of yesteryear.

by

comment

Alamo Plaza Motor Court --

Classic 1930s motor hotel and site of a bizarre double murder in '93 that prompted the renaming of notorious Stewart Avenue. A suburban bachelor party had checked in and hired a hooker, who was tossed out when discovered to be a transvestite. The pimp then shot the groom and best man.

Biltmore Hotel --

Once considered the premiere hotel in the South and the focus of Atlanta social life, the Biltmore received presidents (FDR), movie stars (Mary Pickford) and heroes (Lindbergh). WSB radio broadcast from signature twin towers for 30 years. Boarded up in 1982; was reopened as office suites and ballrooms in 1999.

Frances Hotel --

Wedge-shaped landmark on Peachtree Street opened in 1898 as city's first luxury apartments. After heyday in '20s and decades of decline, was best known as seedy home of the Chickenman street character until its demolition in 1988.

Georgian Terrace --

Opened in 1911 as a Parisian-style hotel, it was long Atlanta's most luxurious. Famed for hosting the 1939 premiere party for Gone With the Wind; completely restored to its former grandeur in 1989.

Highland Inn --

Has gone through many incarnations since opening as the Wynne Hotel & Tea Room in 1927, including apartments and the Shady Rest flop house. Served as home for the trendy Cafe Diem during the '90s; was remodeled for the Olympics.

Imperial Hotel --

Opened in 1911 as mid-priced, Chicago-style hotel. Home of the popular Joe Dale's Cellar Restaurant and later, the Domino Lounge. Boarded up in the late '80s, it was reborn as subsidized housing.

Scoville Hotel --

Opened in 1908 on Mitchell Street's once-famed "hotel row." Came to resemble a Bowery flop house and was used frequently for film shoots. Atlanta's oldest hotel, it finally closed last summer.

Add a comment