The Libertarian Party of Georgia will host an open-to-the-public political social Fri., Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. at Smith's Olde Bar in Midtown. The party's website boasts the social offers "a casual and relaxed atmosphere for Libertarians to mingle, get to know one another and meet the candidates." The Libertarian Party of Georgia formed in 1972 with the mission to move public policy in a libertarian direction by electing candidates of the party to public office. The state party's office is located at 1176 Peachtree St., Suite 715, South Tower. The event is set for 7 p.m., but the group will be there all night.
7 p.m. Smith's Olde Bar, 1578 Piedmont Ave. 404-888-9468. www.ga.lp.org.
· BUCKHEAD BUSINESS ASSOCIATION The BBA meets over breakfast to discuss the economic and cultural vitality of Buckhead. The next one is scheduled for Thurs., Aug. 31. Cost for non-members: $15. Thursdays, 7:30-9 a.m. Anthony's Restaurant, 3109 Piedmont Road. 404-467-7607. www.buckheadbusiness.org.
· COLLEGE PARK CITY COUNCIL Residents are encouraged to attend council meetings. Issues not on the agenda may be addressed at the beginning of the meeting, the next of which is scheduled for Mon., Sept. 4. First and third Mondays of every month, 7:30 p.m. City Hall in College Park, 3667 Main St. 404-669-3754. www.collegeparkga.com.
· DECATUR CITY COMMISSION The commission meets twice a month to discuss local government and address community concerns. At each meeting, time is left open for comments and questions. The next meeting is scheduled for Mon., Sept. 4. First and third Mondays of every month, 7:30 p.m. City Hall, 509 North McDonough St., Decatur. 404-371-8386. www.decaturga.com.
· DRINKING LIBERALLY The local chapter of this national organization, which aims to promote democracy "one pint at a time," encourages Democrats to discuss politics, current events and whatever else comes up after a few drinks. The next meeting is Thurs., Aug. 31. Thursdays, 8 p.m. Thinking Man Tavern, 537 W. Howard Avenue, Decatur. 404-370-1717. www.drinkingliberally.org.
· EAST POINT CITY COUNCIL Local government, community endeavors and city planning are discussed regularly at these meetings, the next of which is scheduled for Mon., Sept. 4. First and third Monday of every month, 6:30 p.m. East Point City Hall, 2777 East Point St., East Point. 404-765-1000. www.eastpointcity.org.
· FULTON COMMISSIONERS Come to the Fulton County Commission meeting at the beginning of the month to hear zoning cases, or at the end of the month to hear commissioner and county manager issues. The next meeting is scheduled for Wed., Sept. 6. First and third Wednesdays of every month, 10 a.m. Fulton County Government Center's Assembly Hall, 141 Pryor St. 404-730-8200. ww2.co.fulton.ga.us.
· NEIGHBORHOOD PLANNING UNIT B Neighborhood Planning Units are citizen-run councils that advise the mayor and the Atlanta City Council. Each one meets on a monthly basis to solicit community concerns. Unit B serves 12 neighborhoods, including Buckhead, Brookhaven, East Chastain Park and Garden Hills. The next meeting is scheduled for Tues., Sept. 5. First Tuesday of every month, 7-9 p.m. Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church, 2715 Peachtree Rd. 404-233-1355. www.atlantaga.gov.
· SUSTAINABLE ATLANTA ROUNDTABLE The roundtable is a monthly forum on sustainable development issues affecting our region RSVP and get more information at www.southface.org. Registration fees also vary depending on membership and event. The next meeting is scheduled for Fri., Sept. 8. First Friday of every month, 7:30-9 a.m. All Saints Episcopal Church, 634 W. Peachtree St. 404-872-3549. www.southface.org.
· SYLVAN HILLS NEIGHBORS All residents of Sylvan Hills are invited to attend neighborhood public meetings. Recent activities have included a successful Hands On Atlanta landscaping project. To add an item to the meeting agenda, e-mail the association at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week in advance. The next meeting is scheduled for Thurs., Aug. 31. Last Thursday of every month, 7 p.m. Easter Seals Child Development Center, 1757 Melrose Drive. 404-758-7774. www.sylvanhills.com.
· YOUNG DEMS OF ATLANTA The Young Democrats of Atlanta meet monthly to socialize, talk politics and figure out ways to get young people involved in campaigns. The next one is scheduled for Wed., Sept. 6. First Wednesday of every month, 6:30 p.m. Manuel's Tavern, 602 N. Highland Ave. 404-525-3447. www.fultonyoungdems.org.
Want to publicize a political or civic event? E-mail email@example.com.