News & Views » The Blotter

The Blotter


A 31-year-old woman on Childress Drive said she has written numerous letters to the Zone 4 precinct and videotaped much of the drug activity in her neighborhood, and she is fed up with all the problems. On this occasion, a woman in a green skirt and white tank top was walking up and down the street at 3 a.m., yelling and screaming. The 31-year-old told her to be quiet, but the woman walked onto her property and cursed at her. The woman refused to leave. Then, the woman pulled up her green skirt, showing her buttocks to the 31-year-old and her husband.
According to the husband, they have had problems with this woman for six years. The couple said police could find the woman at a crack house on Childress Drive. An officer went to the alleged crack house and found the woman, along with some suspected marijuana in her purse. The woman, who couldn't stop moving around, said she drank three beers and a pint of vodka. She was taken to jail.

Two officers were sent to Mary Street to check out a call about a man beating a pregnant woman in the middle of the road. When the officers arrived, they found a 37-year-old woman lying in the road, and a 22-year-old man standing over her. The man was arrested and put in the patrol car. The woman said the man came down the street and beat her head and legs with a belt. The man thought she left their 3-month-old baby at home alone, she said. But she said she left the baby in the care of another woman.
The woman said she didn't want to press charges against the man because they live together and have a baby together and he pays the rent. If he is in jail, she said she has no way to pay the rent and then she and the baby will be homeless. The man was charged with simple battery and taken to jail. She was treated by emergency medical workers.

An officer responded to a call about an unidentified man trapped in a heating vent, apparently in an effort to gain access to a restaurant on Greenbriar Parkway. The officer spoke with a restaurant employee, a 36-year-old man, who said he got to the restaurant about 6:45 a.m. and was preparing to clean the area when he noticed a vent pushed out of place above the stove.
The employee looked up the vent and saw the feet of an unidentified man, seemingly stuck in the vent. The employee called 911. An officer arrived and was directed to the vent. The officer saw the man's feet, with one shoe off, stuck at the bottom of the heat vent. The man was unresponsive. The officer called Fire Rescue, which latched on ropes and pulled the man out of the heat vent from the top. The man was identified as the restaurant owner's cousin, a 35 year-old man. He had died from fatal burns. A witness said the man was his roommate, and was known to have an existing drug problem. He also said the man was suspected in several break-ins at the restaurant. Police found a wrench on top of the vent cover, which the man apparently used to remove the cover.

On Selwin Street, a 29-year-old woman told her cousin, age 20, not to put his hands on his girlfriend. She said the cousin started yelling and pushed her. She said she took a knife and held it to her cousin's throat. The 20-year-old said he never touched his cousin, but she put a knife on his throat. He had a cut on his throat from the knife. The 29-year-old was charged with aggravated assault. The 20-year-old was charged with simple battery. Both went to jail.

Someone reported a man breaking out street lights on Auburn Avenue. When an officer arrived, a crowd of people pointed to a man in black pants and a lavender shirt. The man, age 34, ran. But police quickly caught him. A total of 13 streetlights were broken on Auburn Avenue. Once inside the patrol car, the man said, "I will come back tomorrow and fucking break them out again."
At 8:15 p.m., an officer saw a naked 35-year-old man walking on Parkway, near North Avenue. He looked slightly disoriented and had a deep cut on his right arm. The man said he was robbed by one woman and three teenagers who were wearing workout clothes. He was unsure of his home address, because he just moved to the area.

At a hotel on Peachtree Center Avenue, a 25-year-old Alpharetta man said he just gotten married at about 6 p.m. During the ceremony, a hotel housekeeper saw a thin man near the couple's hotel room. The thin man told the housekeeper that he left his keys downstairs and that he was part of the wedding ceremony. The groom said no one should have been in the hotel room during the wedding ceremony. Missing items from the newlywed's hotel room included: a cell phone, a $700 watch, clothes, a digital camera, a wallet, credit cards, $140 in cash, plane tickets, cruise tickets, shoes and a checkbook. The groom and bride had intended to use the plane tickets and cruise for their honeymoon, which was scheduled to begin the next day. In addition to stealing their tickets, the thief also took both the bride and groom's passports. He also made himself a cup of coffee and left it half-full in the room. Police took the coffee cup in hopes of getting fingerprints off it.

All items in the Blotter are taken from actual Atlanta police reports and are public record.

Add a comment