Admit it. When Al Gore was in office you thought he was overreacting with all those dour predictions of drastic climate changes and rapidly rising ocean levels. But now, the former vice president has gone all Paul Revere on us with his successful and shocking documentary, An Inconvenient Truth. Join Creative Loafing Editor Ken Edelstein Wed., Aug. 9, as he addresses a panel of local experts on the severity of this looming crisis. The combined impact of last year's coast-battering hurricanes and this year's deadly heat has made global warming a hot topic. This Political Party event is open to everyone and encourages the discussion of an issue that affects us all on a global -- and local -- scale.
Dad's Garage Theatre, 280 Elizabeth St. atlanta.creativeloafing.com/politicalparty.
· BUCKHEAD BUSINESS ASSOCIATION The BBA meets over breakfast to discuss the economic and cultural vitality of Buckhead. Join them in this weekly tradition Thurs., Aug., 3, with guest speaker Jerome Quinn, president and CEO of SawHorse. Cost for non-members: $15. Thursdays, 7:30-9 a.m. Anthony's Restaurant, 3109 Piedmont Rd. 404-467-7607. www.buckheadbusiness.org.
· SOUTH ATLANTA NEIGHBORS South Atlantans for Neighborhood Development serves residents and businesses in Ormewood Park, Boulevard Heights and Benteen Park. Residents are encouraged to attend the next meeting, Thurs., Aug. 3, and voice their concerns. First Thursday of every month, 7:30 p.m. Ormewood Park Presbyterian Church, 1071 Delaware Ave. 404-627-2216. www.sandatlanta.org.
· DRINKING LIBERALLY The local chapter of this national organization, which aims to promote democracy "one pint at a time," encourages democrats to discuss politics, current events and whatever else comes up after a few drinks. Their next meeting is Thurs., Aug. 3. Thursdays, 8 p.m. Thinking Man Tavern, 537 W. Howard Ave., Decatur. 404-370-1717. www.drinkingliberally.org.
· SUSTAINABLE ATLANTA ROUNDTABLE The Roundtable is a monthly program designed to promote green efforts in Georgia. Their next meeting is Fri., Aug. 4. Registration fees also vary depending on membership and event. First Friday of every month, 7:30-9 a.m. All Saints Episcopal Church, 634 W. Peachtree St. 404-872-3549. www.southface.org.
· DECATUR CITY COMMISSION The commission meets twice a month to discuss local government and address community concerns. At each meeting, time is left open for comments and questions. The next meeting is Mon., Aug. 7. First and third Mondays of every month, 7:30 p.m. Temporary City Hall, 233 E. Trinity Place, Decatur. 404-371-8386. www.decaturga.com.
· COLLEGE PARK CITY COUNCIL Residents are encouraged to attend council meetings, the next of which is Mon., Aug. 7. Issues not on the agenda may be addressed at the beginning of the meeting. First and third Mondays of every month, 7:30 p.m. City Hall in College Park, 3667 Main St. 404-767-1537. www.collegeparkga.com.
· ATLANTA DOWNTOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION Monthly ADNA meetings give Atlanta residents an opportunity to meet their neighbors, hear the latest news and get involved. Second Tuesday of every month, various locations. 6:30-8 p.m. The organization's next meeting is Tues., Aug. 8. Sweet Auburn Curb Market, 209 Edgewood Ave. 404-659-1665. www.atlantadna.org.
· ATLANTA WAND MONTHLY MEETING Atlanta WAND is a local chapter of Women's Action for New Directions. They are involved in several causes, including ending the war in Iraq, improving education and encouraging young women's community involvement. WAND's mission is "to empower women (and men) to act politically, to reduce militarism and violence, and to redirect excessive military spending towards unmet human and environmental needs." Their next meeting is Tues., Aug. 8. Second Tuesday of every month, 7-9 p.m. 404-524-5999. www.atlantawand.org.
· SIERRA CLUB MEETING The Sierra Club holds monthly meetings the second Tuesday of every month, the next of which is Tues., Aug. 8. Topics cover a broad range of environmental issues concerning metro Atlanta and the rest of the state. Members and visitors are welcome. Second Tuesday of every month, 7:30 p.m. Church of the Epiphany, 2089 Ponce de Leon Ave. 404-607-1262. www.georgia.sierraclub.org/atlanta.
· SUSTAINABLE SOCIETY DISCUSSION GROUP All are welcome to participate in this group, which discusses ways to improve America and our world. Their next discussion is Tues., Aug. 8. Second Tuesday of every month, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Jason's Deli, 3330 Piedmont Rd., 3. 404-982-5486. www.christopherphilosopher.com.
· ATLANTA URBAN DESIGN The Urban Design Commission protects historical districts, buildings, landmarks and other culturally significant areas. The public is encouraged to attend the group's meetings -- the next of which is Wed., Aug. 9 -- and voice their opinions. Second and fourth Wednesdays of every month, 4 p.m. Council Chambers at Atlanta City Hall, 68 Mitchell St. 404-330-6200. www.atlantaga.gov.
· NORTH FULTON DEMOCRATS Join the North Fulton Democrats for guest speakers and political conversation. Their next meeting is Wed., Aug. 9. Second Tuesday of every month, 7:15 p.m. Startime Entertainment, 608 Holcombe Bridge Road, Roswell. 404-303-9142. www.northfultondemocrats.org.
· Want to publicize a political or civic event? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.