News & Views » The Blotter

Bizarre crimes from Atlanta police reports



CLUB PICKUP GONE WRONG: Around 4:15 p.m., an officer responded to an alleged pedestrian robbery on Broad Street. The suspect was described as a bald, stocky man, about 30 to 40 years old, wearing jean shorts and an orange T-shirt with a large letter "R" on the left side. According to the police report, the man has tattoos covering both arms and his chest, and he also has tattoos between his eyes.

A 55-year-old man said the suspect took $35 from his pocket, punched his face, pushed him and then took off running. He said he chased the man and grabbed the man's Jesus bracelet, which came off. He said earlier, he met the suspect at a nearby nightclub, and he had just given the suspect a dollar so he could hop the train before the alleged theft happened. A witness said the man and the suspect were touching each other and hugging on Broad Street, and he "also thought they were talking about sex," an officer wrote. "According to the witness, he never saw the suspect punch the victim, but he saw him grab his butt then go into his pocket and take his money."

The suspect's Jesus bracelet was turned in as evidence.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY: A 22-year-old man said he went to his aunt's house on Magnolia Way to give his children's mother some diapers for the baby. He said his kids' mom got angry because the diapers were the wrong size and he wouldn't give her the receipt. He described her as an 18-year-old woman with a star tattoo on her chest, a pierced nose and weighs about 200 pounds. She wore black pants and a flower-print shirt.

The man said he tried to walk away, but his kids' mom and her female friend jumped him. He said his kids' mom choked him and threw him up against a car, and then both women punched him. He said his cousin and a security guard showed up and tried to break up the dispute. He said his kids' mother then went into a car trunk and grabbed a crowbar, and chased them into the house. Once they were inside, she reportedly hit the door with the crowbar and told him to come outside. So the man called police.

The security guard confirmed the man's story. Apparently, the mom and her friend drove away before police arrived. The man had cuts and bruises on his face, neck and arms, but he refused medical treatment.

BLEACH TRIP, PART I: A 20-year-old woman said a man poured bleach on her clothes and damaged her cell phone at her apartment on Humphries Street. A police officer arrived and she called the man, 26, and put him on speakerphone. According to the police report, a voice on the other end stated, "Be glad I only poured bleach on your clothes and not the carpet." The officer advised the woman to take out a warrant.

BLEACH TRIP, PART II: An 18-year-old woman said someone poured bleach on the carpet of her apartment on Sidney Marcus Boulevard while she was gone. Also, she said, someone kicked a hole in a closet wall and used a blue marker to write all over the bathroom wall. She suspects her former roommate, who recently moved out. She said her former roommate still has an apartment key.

BREWSKI TRAIN IN VAIN: At a convenience store on Lee Street, the owner said a man known as "New York" walked into the store and grabbed three bottles of Olde English beer from the cooler, and then walked back out. The owner said he told New York to stop, but New York ran away with the beer — and ran across some nearby railroad tracks. A few minutes later, a police officer arrived, but he was unable to give chase because a train was now blocking the tracks. By the time the train was gone, New York was nowhere to be found.

LADY WITH PULL: At Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, an officer said he saw a woman in a Toyota Yaris parked near the curb at the north terminal. When the officer got closer, he saw the woman texting on her phone. According to the officer, he asked the woman to move her car and she said, "Wait a minute." The officer said he asked her again and she replied, "I said wait a minute." The officer walked up and asked for her driver's license. She replied, "I'm not giving you my license. ... For what?" Then, the woman drove away "striking my left hand with her driver's side mirror, almost running over my foot," the officer wrote. The woman circled back around to the north terminal, and the officer stopped her car and told her she was being arrested. She said, "No, you are not arresting me and I am not getting out of the vehicle." The officer said he handcuffed the woman, and she tried to resist, pulling her arms away and twisting her body. The officer radioed in that the woman was in custody and requested a tow truck for her car.

A few seconds later, a sergeant got on the radio and said, "Do not lock her up, just give her a copy of charges." The first officer got back on the radio and said, "Negative, she almost ran over me. She is going to jail." Then another sergeant got on the radio and said he was coming to the officer's location. "When he arrived, he ordered me to the precinct and stated, 'I got this, you just go to the precinct,'" the reporting officer wrote. He said he went to the precinct and watched a sergeant take off the woman's handcuffs and walk her into an office. The woman got tickets for no stopping, no standing near airport curb, failure to obey police, not showing her driver's license and reckless driving. "After issuing the citations, [two sergeants] allowed the suspect to leave."

Items in the Blotter are taken from actual Atlanta police reports. The Blotter Diva compiles them and puts them into her own words.

Add a comment